Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
The Zaar World Tour has me searching high and low for new recipes from all corners of the globe. This is an untried recipe by the simplicity and unusual inclusion of yogurt as a sauce for the beans appeals to me.
- 340.19 g fresh green beans
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 22.18 ml oil
- 14.79 ml butter
- 44.37 ml fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 sprig marjoram
- 226.79 g shelled broad beans (frozen should work) or 226.79 g lima beans (frozen should work) or 226.79 g fava beans (frozen should work)
- 59.14 ml water
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 118.29 ml plain yogurt or 118.29 ml plain nonfat yogurt
- Clean and trim green beans to 1 to 1 1/2 inch pieces.
- Heat the oil and butter in a pan, add the onions and cook until lightly browned. Add the parsley, marjoram and broad beans. Sprinkle with salt and cook gently for 5 minutes, turning frequently.
- Add water and green beans, reduce the heat and cook uncovered for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir the crushed garlic into the yogurt.
- When the beans are cooked, stir in the yoghurt and cook for a minute.
- Serve immediately.
These green beans were surprisingly good. As I was cooking the dish, I was apprehensive about it as the flavors weren't working for me. Luckily, it tasted great at the end, although my yogurt did curdle a bit. I also served this with your turkey kibbeh, and the two dishes really went well together.
The beans had a nice flavour and I didnt read properly and added dried baby limas. That doesnt work lol. I took them out and served just the beans and onions.'I will try it again, but reading it first.
I cooked this like Cookgirl, but with the Broad Beans. This is a lovely side dish that will complement so many meals.