Beyaz peynir, meaning "white cheese" is a salty cheese that takes its name from its white colour. It is very similar to feta so that's a good substitute. If you can get beyaz peynir, use that instead! Enjoy!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 ounces feta cheese, cute into 4 cubes
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- 4 pita breads (or 2 large ones cut in half)
- cucumber, thinly sliced
- red onion, thinly sliced
- fresh tomato, sliced
- fresh basil leaf
- fresh spinach leaves
- In a bowl, combine ground beef, salt, pepper and cumin. Divide into 4 portions. Flatten feta cubes and sprinkle with mint. Form 4 meat patties with feta and mint buried inside of each one.
- On an oiled skillet, cook patties over medium-high heat for 12 to 14 minutes, turning once or until no longer pink inside.
- Place each patty on a warm pita (few seconds in the microwave should do it) and garnish as desired.
I wanted to ligthen the recipe and used ground chicken and dried mint which obviously changed the flavor, but it was very good still. The key to the burger, I believe, is to have some good hummus as this really brings out the flavour in the rest of the toppings.
Good burger and I love all the components in this...but mine turned out too dry. I think I over cooked them, but next time I might mix in a few bread crumbs and egg white to help the moisture. Made for ZWT and I'm a Quisine Queen.