Recipe by KateL
Entered for ZWT. From Vegetarian Times "Readers' Top-Rated Recipes", 2012. Don't add extra salt or garlic until you have tasted the dish. use 12 olives, whatever mixture of black:green you desire.
Top Review by Dr. Jenny
I liked the concept of this dish, but felt the outcome was not worth the labor intensiveness or time to make. We found the phyllo difficult to work with. This dish is better for a weekend than a weeknight meal. We did enjoy the spice combination.
- 2 eggplants, pierced with fork (1 lb.)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon dried mint
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons anise seeds
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 lbs roma tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (1 Tbsp.)
- 12 sheets phyllo dough, thawed
- 1⁄3 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 6 pitted black olives, halved (*see description)
- 6 pitted green olives, halved (*see description)
- 2 tomatoes, sliced (for garnish)
- whole wheat breadcrumbs (for garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190C). Coat 10-inch fluted-edge tart pan with cooking spray.
- Roast eggplants on baking sheet 50 minutes, or until tender. Cool. Scoop flesh into food processor; puree until smooth.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, mint, anise, cumin, paprika, and red pepper flakes; saute 8 minutes.
- add chopped tomatoes and tomato paste; simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in eggplant and garlic; cook 10 minutes.
- Press 1 phyllo sheet into prepared tart pan. Spray with cooking spray, and sprinkle wiht 1 1/2 teaspoons breadcrumbs. Repeat layering with remaining phyllo and breadcrumbs. Roll over edges, and coat with cooking spray.
- Spoon eggplant mixture into crust. Arrange tomato slices and olives over top, and sprinkle with breadcrumbs (if using).
- Bake 1 hour,or until phyllo is golden. Cool 10 minutes before serving.