2 hrs 18 mins
2 hrs 8 mins
Entered for ZWT. From Vegetarian Times "Readers' Top-Rated Recipes", 2012. Don't add extra salt or garlic until you have tasted the dish. use 12 olives, whatever mixture of black:green you desire.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 eggplants, pierced with fork (1 lb.)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon dried mint
- 2 1/2 teaspoons anise seeds
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 lbs roma tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (1 Tbsp.)
- 12 sheets phyllo dough, thawed
- 1/3 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 6 pitted black olives, halved (*see description)
- 6 pitted green olives, halved (*see description)
- 2 tomatoes, sliced (for garnish)
- whole wheat breadcrumbs (for garnish) (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190C). Coat 10-inch fluted-edge tart pan with cooking spray.
- 2Roast eggplants on baking sheet 50 minutes, or until tender. Cool. Scoop flesh into food processor; puree until smooth.
- 3Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, mint, anise, cumin, paprika, and red pepper flakes; saute 8 minutes.
- 4add chopped tomatoes and tomato paste; simmer 10 minutes.
- 5Stir in eggplant and garlic; cook 10 minutes.
- 6Press 1 phyllo sheet into prepared tart pan. Spray with cooking spray, and sprinkle wiht 1 1/2 teaspoons breadcrumbs. Repeat layering with remaining phyllo and breadcrumbs. Roll over edges, and coat with cooking spray.
- 7Spoon eggplant mixture into crust. Arrange tomato slices and olives over top, and sprinkle with breadcrumbs (if using).
- 8Bake 1 hour,or until phyllo is golden. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turkish Eggplant Pie
Serving Size: 1 (311 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 192.7
- Calories from Fat 59
- Total Fat 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 236.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 5.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole wheat breadcrumbs