Really good. From The Complete Middle East Cookbook By Tess Mallos. This is really nice served with Cucumber Salad With Yogurt (Middle East, Palestine).
- 2 oval eggplants (aubergines, 1 lb in all)
- 1 large onion
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil (be sure to use a good one!)
- 2 cups tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh mint, chopped
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 6 paper towels
- yogurt, for serving (or Cucumber Salad With Yogurt (Middle East, Palestine) which is even better)
- Cut eggplants into large cubes with skin on. Place in a colander and sprinkle liberally with salt. Leave for 30 minutes.
- Rince and dry eggplant with paper towels.
- Half onion lengthwise and slice.
- Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a heavy pan and fry eggplant cubes until lightly browned. Remove and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil and gently fry the onion until transparent. Add tomatoes, seasoning, herbs and fried eggplant. Bring to a boil.
- Wash rice until the water runs clear. Drain and place on top of the eggplant mixture. Add chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil without stirring. Reduce heat, cover pan and leave to simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Turn off heat, place a few paper towels over the rim of the pan and replace the lid (This is important don't ignore this part or your pilav won't be as fluffy!).
- Stir gently and turn into a heated serving dish.
- Serve with yogurt and then enjoy the delicious taste.