1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Nana Lee's Note:
From Saad Fayed, Turkish Delight is a candy that originated in Turkey in the 1700's. The candy was featured in "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe", by C.S Lewis. The White Witch tempted a character, Edmund with Turkish Delight. This easy Turkish Delight recipe will tempt you, too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a 9 inch square baking pan, grease the sides and bottom with vegetable oil or shortening.
- 2Line with wax paper and grease the wax paper.
- 3In a saucepan, combine lemon juice, sugar and 1 1/2 cups water on medium heat.
- 4Stir constantly until sugar dissolves. Allow mixture to boil.
- 5Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer, until the mixture reaches 240ºF on a candy thermometer.
- 6Remove from heat and set aside.
- 7Combine cream of tartar, 1 cup corn starch and remaining water in saucepan over medium heat.
- 8Stir until all lumps are gone and the mixture begins to boil.
- 9Stop stirring when the mixture has a glue like consistency.
- 10Stir in the lemon juice and water/sugar mixture.
- 11Stir constantly for about 5 minutes.
- 12Reduce heat to low, allow to simmer for 1 hour, stirring frequently.
- 13Once the mixture has become a golden color, stir in rosewater.
- 14Pour mixture into wax paper lined pan.
- 15Spread evenly and allow to cool overnight.
- 16Once it has cooled overnight, sift together confectioners sugar and remaining cornstarch.
- 17Turn over baking pan containing Turkish delight onto clean counter or table and cut with oiled knife into one inch pieces.
- 18Coat with confectioners sugar mixture.
- 19Serve or store in airtight container in layers separated with wax or parchment paper.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turkish Delight - Lokum (Candy)
Serving Size: 1 (84 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 25
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 167.3
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 36.6 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: