For those of you who are fans of C.S. Lewis, Chronicles of Narnia. A recipe for Turkish Delight originally from The Art of Candy Making Fully Explained, Compiled by Mrs. Sherwood P. Snyder(1915)
- Soak gelatin in one-half cupful of the cold water for ten minutes.
- Place sugar and remaining cold water in a saucepan and bring to the boiling point, add soaked gelatin and the juices of the orange and lemon.
- Boil to 240°F on a candy thermometer, or soft ball stage(spoon a drop of this mixture into a glass of cold water and it should form a soft putty ball).
- Add nutmeats and red food coloring until desired color is achieved.
- Remove from heat and beat until creamy.
- Turn into a bread pan that is lightly greased and placed in cold water to the depth of one inch.
- Let stand until firm, turn out onto board, and cut into cubes. Roll in powdered sugar.