Top Review by mollypaul
Subbed crushed almonds for the pistachios (didn't have any) and reduced the orange extract to 3 teaspoons. Everything worked very well...the nuts were fine and the candy had a lovely, subtly orange flavor. The only thing that might be considered less than 100% positive is that the candy was extremely sticky in the pan (which was non stick) and very difficult to remove completely once it had cooled. I don't know if a spritz of cooking spray would be in order or not, but WILL be used the next time we make this.
- 3 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1⁄3 cup boiling water
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons orange extract or 4 tablespoons lemon extract or 4 tablespoons raspberry extract
- 1⁄4 cup pistachio nut, chopped
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- food coloring (Use appropriate color to match flavor.)
Directions See How It's Made
- Soften gelatine in cold water.
- Add sugar to boiling water.
- Bring to boil.
- Stir in softened gelatine.
- Simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes.
- Add flavoring and coloring.
- Pour into ungreased, 8-inch square pan.
- Add nuts.
- Stir gently.
- When firm, invert onto cutting board.
- Cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes.
- Roll in confectioners' sugar.
- Store in a jar at room temperature.