Prep 35 mins
Cook 24 hrs
This is the recipe posted on the BBC Chronicles of Narnia DVDs. I have not tried it yet, but intend to do so soon. Please note, I'm guessing at the quantity and cooking time, as they are not identified in the original recipe.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 lemon, the peel cut into strips, the juice squeezed and strained
- 1 orange, the peel cut into strips, the juice squeezed and strained
- 4 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Dissolve the granulated sugar in half of the water over medium heat.
- Add the strips of lemon and orange peel and the juices.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Soften the gelatin by soaking it for 5 to 10 minutes in the remaining water.
- Add the gelatin to the sugar syrup, stirring well and boil for 10 minutes, until the syrup reaches the thread stage.
- Strain the mixture into a shallow dampened pan or onto platters, and let it set for 24 hours.
- Cut the candy into 1-inch squares.
- Sift confectioners' sugar and cornstarch together into a shallow dish.
- Roll the pieces of candy in the mixture.
- Store the squares in boxes with more confectioners' sugar and cornstarch between each layer.