Recipe by Nana Lee
A bit of cardamom gives this dessert its exotic flavor. The pudding needs to chill about five hours before serving, so be sure to plan ahead. From: Bon Appétit,Every-Night Cooking, February 2006
- 2 1⁄4 cups heavy cream, divided
- 3 tablespoons Kahlua or 3 tablespoons other coffee liqueur
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup packed golden brown sugar
- ground cardamom (to garnish)
- espresso powder (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine 1 3/4 cups cream, 2 tablespoons Kahlúa, 2 tablespoons espresso powder, and 1 scant teaspoon cardamom in heavy small saucepan; bring to simmer.
- Whisk yolks and brown sugar in medium bowl.
- Gradually whisk hot cream mixture into yolk mixture; return to pan.
- Stir over medium-low heat until mixture is thick enough to coat back of spoon (do not boil), about 5 minutes.
- Strain through fine-mesh strainer into 2-cup measuring cup.
- Divide pudding among 6 demitasse cups.
- Refrigerate until set, about 5 hours. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep chilled.).
- Whisk remaining 1/2 cup cream in medium bowl until peaks form.
- Whisk in remaining 1 tablespoon Kahlúa.
- Top each pudding with whipped cream. Sprinkle with additional espresso powder and additional cardamom.