Recipe by Nana Lee
From Saad Fayed, Turkish coffee is famed for the way it is made. It is prepared in an ibrik, a small coffee pot that is heated. Sugar is added during the brewing process, not after, so the need for a serving spoon is eliminated. Cream or milk is never added to Turkish coffee, and sugar is optional. It is always served in demitasse cups. In some regions, your fortune is told by the placement of the coffee grinds left in the cup!
Top Review by Angellb
As An Arabic person who drinks 4 to 5 cups of turkish coffee a day, you did it extremely well. This is the way Nana Lee. but you can serve this coffee without foam, it depends on the taste of the person and the sugar should be used to the taste like 1/2 coffee spoon of sugar for the same recipe is u like it medium sweet and 1 if u like it sweet and when u want it little sweet let it be just on the top of the spoon. the spoon of sugar should be leveled not full. Good appetite. By the way my nick name is Nana Too.
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon of extra fine ground coffee (powder consistency)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cardamom or 1 cardamom pod
- sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring water and sugar to a boil in ibrik.
- If you do not have an ibrik, a small saucepan will work.
- Remove from heat, add coffee and cardamom.
- Return saucepan to heat and allow to come to a boil.
- Remove from heat when coffee foams.
- Again, return to heat, allowing to foam and remove from heat.
- Pour into cup, and allow to sit for a few minutes for the grounds to settle to the bottom of the cup.
- Cardamom pod may be served in cup for added flavor.
- TURKISH COFFEE TIPS:.
- ****** Many people have made note that the coffee did not foam the second boiling. Sorry about that. Maybe if, when you pour the coffee into the cup, you do it from up high. I think I read that somewhere.
- Turkish coffee must always be served with foam on top.
- If you can't find finely ground Arabic coffee, you can purchase a bag of coffee at any coffeehouse and ask them to grind it for Turkish coffee. You need to have a powder-like consistency.
- Do not stir after pouring into cups; the foam will collapse.
- Always use cold water.