This is my adaptation of a dish that was put on the table when I went to a Turkish restaurant. I would suggest using fresh feta from a Mediterranean/Greek grocer, packaged feta can be overly dry and salty. I also like to make an Italian variation using Ricotta Salata cheese, which is not the soft cheese used in baked ziti but a semi soft cheese made from sheep's milk.This cheese can be found in supermarkets with a good cheese section or at an Italian deli/Salumeria. I prefer not to over dress the salad simply using a little bit of red wine vinegar and a drizzle of olive oil on top. This is great with grilled meats or fish and great for those hot summer days.
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 -3 ripe plum tomatoes, cubed
- 1 large cucumber, cubed
- 1⁄2 red onion, diced
- 1⁄4 lb feta cheese
- 1⁄4 lb kalamata olive
- 1 -2 pita bread, cut into triangles (for Italian variation use crusty Italian bread)
- 1⁄8 cup fresh Italian parsley (optional)
- lemon wedge, as a garnish (optional)
- Chop parsley and set aside.
- Chop the remaining vegetables, and add them to a bowl.
- Add olives.
- Add dressing and parsley, mix thoroughly coating the vegetables.
- Add additional salt and pepper if you wish.
- Transfer salad to a platter.
- Crumble feta cheese on top.
- Place lemon wedges around platter.
- Serve with pita triangles (warmed is best).
I absolutely love this combination of ingredients. The salad has a wonderful fresh and light flavor. The fresh lemon juice and parsley is key to the fresh flavor; don't skip it! Thanx for sharing this recipe!
Simple, flavorful, and so easy to throw together. I've been making salads like these for a long time now- this one is good too. I'll be trying it with crumbled goat cheese instead of feta next time.
This was so delicious and easy to prepare. I used halved grape tomatoes, but otherwise followed the recipe as written. This does make a great side dish (or starter) and pairs with the pita perfectly. Thanks for sharing this lovely salad. Made for Spring PAC 2013.