Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium cooking onion, chopped
- 4 large tomatoes, diced
- 3 large carrots, quartered and sliced into bite size
- 4 cups cooked red kidney beans (I soak my beans and boil them the day before in the same water that I soak them)
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
- salt and pepper
- 5 chopped garlic cloves
- chopped cilantro or chopped parsley
- Heat oil in a large pot and add the carrots and sauté for about 6 min (add water if needed instead of using more oil).
- Then add the onion and sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Next add all the ingredients in except the garlic and parsley and sauté at high until it begins to boil, then reduce to low heat.
- After reducing to lower heat add the garlic (the garlic flavour penetrates the ingredients much better this way) and simmer until the carrots are done.
- Take of the heat and add the cilantro and serve with or over rice and a side salad.
Turkish Cuisine is one of the three top cuisines. This dish is wonderful!