Top Review by *Parsley*
Really yummy! I love leeks and was happy to find a recipe such as this, that uses them as a main ingredient. I made this as written, but didn't cook them as long as listed (I didn't want them too limp and overcooked). I probably cut the cook time in half. Don't skip the lemon juice at the end...it's great. Thanx!
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil or 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 lbs leeks, white and light green parts only,trimmed,cleaned,and thinly sliced (about 10 medium)
- 2 cups peeled seeded and chopped tomatoes (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup vegetable stock or 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, about
- ground black pepper
- 1 pinch sugar
- 12 -16 pitted black olives
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the leeks and sauté in until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, stock, salt, pepper, and sugar.
- Cover and simmer until the leeks are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add the olives and lemon juice and simmer another 10 minutes.
- Serve at room temperature as an appetizer or warm as a side dish.