Recipe by lisaeizaddoust_5525046
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry. This dish is so flavorful and delicious. It has wonderful spices, such as Cumin and Cinnamon. It has a little Cayenne Pepper for heat. If you like it Spicier, you may add more spices. Cook on the stovetop in a Dutch Oven for 2 1/2 hours or in a Slow Cooker on low for 9 hours. This dish is best served over rice. Preparation time: 40 minutes.
- 2 large onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stewing beef or 1 1⁄2 lbs chuck roast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil or 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon powdered saffron (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups water
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 ounces tomato paste
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large carrot, washed, peeled and julienned
- 1 bunch cilantro, washed and chopped, stems and all
- 1 (20 ounce) package Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onion
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large Dutch oven, put 2 tablespoons EVOO, or Canola Oil, fry chopped onions in batches until golden, about five minutes. Remove to a platter and set aside.
- Dredge the beef in flour, salt and pepper, and in 2 batches, brown the beef.
- To the pot,add the golden onions, Garlic, Saffron, Turmeric, Cumin, Cinnamon, Tomato Paste, Tomato Sauce, 3 cups of Water, and Lemon Juice to the pot. Stir well, cover and cook over low heat for 2 1/2 hours. Stirring occasionally.
- After 2 hours, add the Black Beans and the Cilantro.Continue to cook 30 minutes more.
- Saute Julienned Carrots in 1 teaspoon Olive Oil for 5 minutes. Set aside and keep warm. Fry Potatoes according to directions, set aside for garnish. Keep warm.
- Place Ragout in Serving or Casserole dish and top with Sauteed Carrots and Fried Potatoes.
- Serve over hot Rice. Enjoy!