Prep 40 mins
Cook 10 hrs 30 mins
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry. This dish is so flavorful and delicious. It has wonderful spices, such as Cumin and Cinnamon. It has a little Cayenne Pepper for heat. If you like it Spicier, you may add more spices. Cook on the stovetop in a Dutch Oven for 2 1/2 hours or in a Slow Cooker on low for 9 hours. This dish is best served over rice. Preparation time: 40 minutes.
- 2 large onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stewing beef or 1 1⁄2 lbs chuck roast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil or 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon powdered saffron (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups water
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 ounces tomato paste
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large carrot, washed, peeled and julienned
- 1 bunch cilantro, washed and chopped, stems and all
- 1 (20 ounce) package Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onion
- In a large Dutch oven, put 2 tablespoons EVOO, or Canola Oil, fry chopped onions in batches until golden, about five minutes. Remove to a platter and set aside.
- Dredge the beef in flour, salt and pepper, and in 2 batches, brown the beef.
- To the pot,add the golden onions, Garlic, Saffron, Turmeric, Cumin, Cinnamon, Tomato Paste, Tomato Sauce, 3 cups of Water, and Lemon Juice to the pot. Stir well, cover and cook over low heat for 2 1/2 hours. Stirring occasionally.
- After 2 hours, add the Black Beans and the Cilantro.Continue to cook 30 minutes more.
- Saute Julienned Carrots in 1 teaspoon Olive Oil for 5 minutes. Set aside and keep warm. Fry Potatoes according to directions, set aside for garnish. Keep warm.
- Place Ragout in Serving or Casserole dish and top with Sauteed Carrots and Fried Potatoes.
- Serve over hot Rice. Enjoy!