Recipe by zeldaz51
From Frances Moore Lappe's "Diet for a Small Planet". She says that she once demonstrated this and the moderator could not stop eating it for the entire program. About as simple as it gets.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 cup barley (uncooked)
- 5 cups well-seasoned stock
- 2 cups buttermilk or 2 cups yogurt
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 pat margarine (or butter)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a heavy pot and saute onions until translucent.
- Add barley and saute, stirring lightly, until translucent and slightly toasty-smelling.
- When onion is well browned, add stock and cook until barley is well done, 45 minutes to an hour (or 25 minutes in a pressure cooker).
- Remove from heat, let cool a bit, and slowly add buttermilk and more stock to thin it if necessary. Sprinkle in dill and add butter or margarine.