Prep 25 mins
Cook 6 mins
POSTED FOR RAMADAN TAG. From http://www.turkishcookbook.com/ NOTE: I just realized almond extract contains alcohol unless there are alcohol free ones around. I would like to know.
- 6 fresh apricots, peeled, pitted, sliced
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons almonds, sliced, roasted lightly if you prefer
- Bring the sugar and water to boil in a medium cooking pot. Turn the heat down to very medium-low.
- Add the apricots and almond extract. Cook for about 5-6 minutes.
- Pour into a bowl and let it cool.
- Then chill in the fridge.
- Add almond slices.
- Serve in individual bowls with Pilaf on the side on hot Summer days.
I love dried apricot! I doubled this recipe so I could have more of it! It made for a nice light dessert and a snack.
This compote was lovely, I served it with biryani as a side dish. I would probably cut down the amount of sugar when I make it again, mainly because I do not have a sweet tooth. Thanks so much for posting this.
Oh no, it said fresh apricots not dried. My mistake! I made this
with dried apricots. Made a simple syrup then added the sliced of
dried apricots. Served over Nancy's whole milk plain yogurt. Considering my goof it turned out better than I had expected! I anticipate making this often and subbing other seasonal fruits. Thanks, UmmBinat! (I am giving the recipe a no-star rating due to my error.) Reviewed for NA*ME tag/February.