Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Quick Turkey "Chili" with Pumpkin & Chilis in Adobo Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 -2 chipotle chile in adobo, diced
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce (from the can)
- 1 cup fresh parsley or 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 4 lime wedges
- 4 cups brown rice or 4 cups wild rice, cooked
- Saute the onion with the olive oil, salt, pepper & oregano in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Once the onions are soft & translucent, add the ground turkey & saute until cooked through (no more pink).
- Add chili powder, cumin, pumpkin, beans, chicken stock, chilis in adobo sauce & adobo sauce - stir well to combine.
- Let come to a boil then lower heat to simmer for about 15 minutes until sauce is reduced by about one-third & has thickened.
- Add 1/2 of the fresh herbs & stir into mixture.
- Serve 1 cup of mixture with 1/2 cup of rice. Garnish each serving with reserved fresh herbs, about 1/2 t. of honey drizzled over the top & a squeeze of the lime wedge.
- Should have leftover "chili" for meal the next day!