Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
A great course for a more humane Thanksgiving! Use any type of mushroom you prefer: white button, brown or a mixture of wild varieties
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 cups cubed extra firm tofu or 2 cups smoked tofu
- 5 cups cooked spaghetti, drained and cooled
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, blanched and sliced
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil or 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups vegetable broth or 2 cups mushroom broth
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup soymilk, heated
- 1 tablespoon slivered almonds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In saute pan over medium-low heat, cook mushrooms in wine until they release their moisture and are cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- Gently combine mushrooms, tofu, spaghetti and almonds, in large bowl; set aside.
- For the sauce, combine flour and oil in saucepan over low heat. Stir until smooth paste forms.
- Add broth, a little at a time, stirring after each addition until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in pepper, soy milk.
- Lightly oil baking pan or ovenproof casserole.
- Combine pasta mixture with sauce; place in pan or casserole.
- Top with almonds slivers.
- Bake until golden brown on top, about 30 minutes.