1/2 Photos of Turkey With Herb Butter & Caramelized Onion Balsamic Gravy
4 hrs 30 mins
If you are searching for an outstanding Turkey recipe, this is it! I have been making this turkey recipe for the past eight years and my family would not have it any other way! This has fantastic flavor! The gravy can be started while the turkey roasts. When the turkey is through cooking, finish the gravy with balsamic vinegar and the pan juices.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 -18 lbs turkey, neck and giblets reserved for gravy
- fresh rosemary sprig (optional)
- fresh sage sprig (optional)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons orange peel, grated
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1Preheat oven to 325°F.
- 2Rinse turkey inside and out; pat dry. Place on rack in roasting pan. Sprinkle cavities with salt and pepper.
- 3If not stuffing turkey, place rosemary and sage sprigs in main cavity. If stuffing turkey, spoon stuffing loosely into main cavity.
- 4Melt butter in saucepan. Mix in chopped rosemary, sage, orange peel, pepper and salt. Brush herb butter over turkey.
- 5Tuck wing tips under turkey; tie legs together to hold shape. Roast turkey 1 hour. Baste with pan juices. Continue roasting turkey until thermometer inserted into thigh registers 180°F, basting every 20 minutes, about 2 3/4 hours longer if unstuffed or about 3 1/4 hours longer if stuffed.
- 6Meanwhile, prepare gravy: Combine turkey neck and giblets, 5 1/2 cups broth, quartered onion and bay leaf in saucepan. Simmer until reduced to 3 cups liquid, skimming occasionally, about 1 hour.
- 7Strain turkey stock.
- 8Melt butter in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 9Add sliced onions; saute 10 minutes.
- 10Add 1 tablespoon rosemary and 1 tablespoon sage and saute until onions are golden, about 10 minutes.
- 11Add flour; stir 1 minute. Gradually whisk in turkey stock.
- 12Boil until gravy thickens, stirring often, about 3 minutes.
- 13Add 1 teaspoon each rosemary and sage.
- 14Transfer turkey to platter. Tent with foil. Pour juices from pan into large glass measuring cup; spoon off fat.
- 15Add juices to gravy.
- 16Add vinegar to roasting pan. Bring vinegar to simmer over medium heat, scraping up browned bits.
- 17Pour mixture into heavy small saucepan. Boil until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 3 minutes; add to gravy.
- 18Rewarm gravy; thin with more chicken broth, if desired. Season with salt and pepper.
Browse Our Top Whole Turkey Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Turkey Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turkey With Herb Butter & Caramelized Onion Balsamic Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (939 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1354.6
- Calories from Fat 658
- Total Fat 73.1 g
- Saturated Fat 25.5 g
- Cholesterol 530.5 mg
- Sodium 1568.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 152.2 g