Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A mild hint of curry and coconut adds special flavor to this rice dish. Posted for ZWT 2006 - Asian Region although the ingredients are cross-cultural.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups cubed cooked turkey (or chicken)
- 1 1⁄3 cups basmati rice or 1 1⁄3 cups medium grain rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen sugar snap peas (or 3 cups fresh)
- 1⁄3 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Melt butter in deep 12-inch skillet until sizzling; stir in turkey.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through (4 to 6 minutes). Stir in rice, salt, curry and cumin. Continue cooking until rice is lightly browned (1 to 2 minutes).
- Stir in water and coconut milk. Continue cooking until mixture comes to a boil (4 to 6 minutes). Reduce heat to low. Cover; cook until rice is just tender (13 to 15 minutes). Stir in peas. Cover; continue cooking until peas are tender (3 to 5 minutes).
- To serve, sprinkle with coconut and cilantro.