Prep 1 hr
Cook 4 hrs
A delicious turkey for the perfect Thanksgiving dinner.
- 1 (10 lb) butterball whole turkey
External turkey seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil or 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- sea salt, entire bird (to season)
Internal turkey seasoning
- 1 bunch fresh sage
- 2 whole garlic
- 1 piece aluminum foil
Apricot Chardonnay Glaze
- 1 1⁄2 cups woodbridge Chardonnay wine
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)
- For glaze:.
- In a medium saucepan over mediumlowheat.
- add Chardonnay, sugar, and apricot preserves.
- Cook down, stirring occasionally until thick (approx. 30 min.).
- When turkey is ¾ cooked, evenly baste with glaze using a pastry brush.
- Remove foil from top of bird and finish cooking.
- For turkey:.
- Preheat oven to 325°F Wash hands.
- Thoroughly rinse turkey with water.
- Remove innards and neck; pat dry with clean paper towels.
- Place turkey breast up in a large, stable roasting pan.
- Tuck wings back to prevent burning.
- Neatly tie legs together with butcher’s twine.
- Massage turkey with oil, making sure to coat evenly.
- Season entire bird, including internal cavity, with sea salt.
- Place sage and garlic bulbs inside (optional).
- Loosely cover just the top of turkey with foil.
- Place turkey on bottom oven rack. Set timer accordingly.
- Remove foil and baste turkey with pan juices approximately every 45 minute.
- When turkey is ¾ cooked, remove foil and baste with Apricot Chardonnay Glaze.
- Place back inside oven and let crisp up during remaining time.
- Safe internal temperature is 180°F deep in the thigh—juices should run clear, not pink. If stuffed, temperature should be 165°F in center of stuffing.
- When bird is done, allow it to stand for 15 minute to release juices before serving.