Recipe by Mirj
This is something great to do with that leftover turkey. My friend Gail makes this with fresh cooked turkey.
Top Review by Cas
I used this salad as one of three for a summer meal get-together, and adults and kids alike loved it! I had to use brown rice because wild rice was nowhere to be seen, and put some peas and corn kernels in as well, and soaked the dried cranberries and raisins in apple juice and honey. AWESOME dish thank you!
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon water (in addition to the above)
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cranberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup diced carrot
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- 3⁄4 lb cooked turkey, , shredded (, about 2 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red onion
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- green leaf lettuce
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring 3 cups water, wild rice and 1/2 tsp salt to boil in heavy medium saucepan.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat until rice is tender and water is absorbed, about 55 minutes.
- Cool rice completely.
- Set aside.
- Combine cranberries and remaining 1 tbsp water in heavy small saucepan.
- Cook over medium-low heat until cranberries just begin to soften, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes.
- Add sugar and cook over high heat until sugar is dissolved and cranberries are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to plate and refrigerate until chilled.
- Steam carrots until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes.
- Rinse carrot with cold water to cool.
- Whisk olive oil, lemon juice and garlic to blend in small bowl.
- Season dressing with salt and pepper.
- Combine rice, carrot, turkey, celery, parsley, onion and raisins in large bowl.
- Pour dressing over.
- Add cranberries and toss thoroughly.
- (Can be prepared 8 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate.) Line 6 plates with lettuce leaves.
- Divide salad among plates and serve.