Prep 2 hrs
Cook 8 hrs
This procedure results in a turkey that is extrememly moist and so tender that it isn't really suitable for formal carving. The method is so easy, however, that you'll find yourself serving turkey all year round, not just during holidays.
- 1 uncooked turkey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 stalks celery & leaves
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups boiling water
- Sprinkle salt inside turkey cavity and insert celery stalks.
- Preheat oven to 450*F.
- Place turkey on rack in roasting pan and rub with melted butter.
- Pour boiling water around turkey, cover pan tightly and cook 2 hours for 14 pounds or less, 2 1/2 hours for more than 14 pounds.
- After cooking time, turn off heat, but DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR.
- Leave turkey in closed oven overnight (8 hours).
- Turkey will be ready to slice and refrigerate the next morning, with plenty of drippings for gravy.
Great recipe!! I made this for Thanksgiving, but forgot to review it then. I had a 27-pound turkey and it turned out very moist and perfectly cooked. I was a little worried if it would brown or not - but it did and looked very appetizing. Thanks Stinkerbell for a recipe that I will use again and again.
My family has been using this for years to free the oven on Turkey day. Yes, the turkey is perfectly cooked, moist and delicious.
I can't believe this recipe has not been reviewed yet?? It is an outstanding recipe. . almost revolutionary!!! The turkey turns out browned, juicy and thouroughly cooked. No more weighing, computing cooking times or temps. It is just great. This is definitely how this household will be cooking turkey from now on. And its done a day ahead. . . no more last minute rushing around!! Thanks so much Stinkerbell