Recipe by Brittney_B
This delicious pie is always a huge hit with our family. This comforting casserole pie is filled with vegies and turkey in a creamy mustard sauce which is complemented by the cheesey crisp potato topping. Its perfect to make if you have any leftover turkey and roast potatoes from Christmas day or dinner the previous night. I got this recipe from a "Christmas leftovers" special in a magazine and have adapted it to my family's likings. You could also use leftover ham or chicken in place of the turkey.
- 75 g reduced fat margarine
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large leek, thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup plain flour
- 3 cups nonfat milk
- 300 g roasted turkey, diced into 2cm cubes
- 3 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup frozen peas
- 5 mushrooms, sliced
- 4 large potatoes, chopped into 2cm pieces, roasted
- 3⁄4 cup grated reduced-fat tasty cheese (or cheddar)
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 180°C Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the garlic and leek and cook over a medium heat, stirring for about 5 minutes or until leek is soft.
- Add flour and stir over heat until bubbling. Remove pan from heat and then gradually stir in milk until most lumps are dissolved. Return pan to heat and stir until mixture boils and thickens.
- Stir in carrots and zucchini and cook until vegetables are mostly cooked through.
- Stir in roast turkey, wholegrain mustard, peas and mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Cover and continue to cook for 10 minutes.
- Pour mixture into a 9 cup capacity deep baking dish and top with the roast potatoes. Sprinkle cheese evenly over the top of the potatoes and bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes or until golden and bubbling. Serve pie garnished with fresh herbs.