Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
After being on a totally fat free diet for several weeks, I went to a restaurant and had a variation on this sandwich. I felt like they used too much fat, so I have cut it down more than they did and renamed the sandwiches. I like my food to look good and taste good. This recipe fits both requirements and is good for you too.
- 1⁄2 cup yellow squash, sliced and diced
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, sliced and diced
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, sliced and diced
- 1⁄2 cup broccoli, sliced and diced
- 1⁄2 cup bermuda onion, sliced and diced
- 1⁄2 cup zucchini, sliced and diced
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 6 onion rolls, unsliced
- 6 ounces lean turkey breast
- 1 tomatoes, sliced into 6 slices
- 3 ounces provolone cheese, sliced into 6 slices
- Saute or steam vegetables in chicken broth.
- Take a thin slice from the top of each roll and scoop out the center leaving about 1/4 inch around the sides.
- Fill rolls with the drained vegetables.
- Top each sandwich with 1 oz of turkey, a slice of tomato and a slice of cheese.
- Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray and place sandwiches on tray.
- Cook under broiler until the cheese melts.
- Serve with soup or a fruit salad for a pretty and tasty luncheon.
- My mother uses the filling in tortillas and rolls them up instead of using the onion rolls.
These sandwiches are definately hefty. You will not miss the calories, I promise. I used smoked turkey in this recipe. All of the veggie flavors were wonderful with the onion roll. I loved the visual appeal and taste. Try it, you will like it!
Tasty, substantial, attractive, and healthy! I seasoned the veggies with lots of lemon pepper and put more pepper on the cheese after broiling. I used Hearty Onion Rye Bread (Bread Machine) as my base. Thanks Mysterygirl for sharing.
Oh, the flavor, colors and textures of this sandwich are awesome. I used sliced (not diced)veggies and an unaltered, toasted whole wheat bun. I also broiled the tomato and cheese until the cheese melted. I was sure this was going to need at least some mayo, but it didn't. The veggie juices were all the delicious moisture this sandwich needed. GREAT sandwich, Mysterygirl.