Recipe by DailyInspiration
Wondering what to do with all that turkey -- this is it! Try this spicy tortilla soup from Cuisine at Home magazine.
Top Review by breezermom
Really good! It was a little more "tomato-ey" than I'm used to, but delicious! Really watch your tortilla strips....mine started to get too brown at 6 minutes. Great crunchy toprping for the soup. I garnished with the sour cream, cilantro and cheese. Yummy, yummy! Made for "For Your Consideration" game.
- 6 corn tortillas, cut into strips (8-inch size)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups onions, diced
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile in adobo, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 cups cooked turkey, chopped
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup scallion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- monterey jack cheese, shredded for garnish
- sour cream (to garnish)
- sliced avocado (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Toss tortilla strips in 2 tablespoons oil and arrange on a baking sheet. Bake until crisp, 12-14 minutes, remove from oven, and season with salt; set aside.
- Sweat onion, corn, garlic and jalapeno in 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pot over medium heat 4-5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, chipotles, and seasonings; cook 1 minute. Add broth, tomatoes, turkey, and beans and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Finish soup with scallions, cilantro, lime juice and salt to taste. Top each serving with cheese, sour cream, avocados and tortilla strips.