Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Kids didn't find this too spicy but everyone is a bit different. Of most importance - make sure EVERYTHING is premeasured out before you start cooking or you will be stressed.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vegetable oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, divided
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 cup water
- 5 (6 inch) tortillas, cut in half
- 1⁄2 cup shredded low-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 large roasted cooked turkey breast, cut into 2x1/4-inch strips
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup corn kernel, divided
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- cooking spray
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat sour cream
- Heat 3/4 tsp oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add turkey; sauté 1 minute. Add 3/4 tsp oregano, salt, 1/4 tsp cumin, pepper, and 2 cloves garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup corn and onions,and sauté 1 minute.
- Spoon into a bowl; stir in chopped cilantro and set aside.
- Heat 1 1/2 tsps oil in skillet over medium heat. Add 1/4 tsp oregano, remaining 1/2 tsp cumin, and 1 clove garlic; saute 1 minute.
- Add flour, chili powder, and cinnamon; cook, stirring constantly with a wire whisk; 1 minute.
- Gradually add water and broth to mixture, and cook, stirring constantly with whisk, 5 minutes or until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Pour sauce into a bowl; cover and set aside.
- Brush remaining 1 tsp oil evenly over both sides of tortilla halves. Place a nonstick skillet over medium high heat until hot. Add 5 tortilla halves, and cook 30 seconds on each side or until softened. Remove from skillet; set aside and keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining tortilla halves.
- Arrange 5 tortilla halves in an 8 inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spread 1/3 cup sauce over tortillas, and top with turkey mixture. Spoon 2/3 cup sauce over turkey mixture; top with remaining 5 tortilla halves. Spread remaining 2/3 cup sauce over tortillas; top with cheese and remaining 1/4 cup corn.
- Bake at 450°F for 15 minutes or until bubbly. Cut into squares; serve with sour cream. If desired garnish with cilantro sprigs and tomato.
This was rather easy to prepare and had a nice flavor. It didn't have a WOW factor but I can see how it would be a good choice for children (or maybe grandchildren).