1 hr 40 mins
Luby Luby Luby's Note:
This is a recipe I came up with to use the left over turkey from Thanksgiving. You can certainly substitute cooked chicken for the turkey. I wanted to try and keep it "lower calorie" than a cream based soup so obviously I couldn't use Half & Half or Heavy Whipping Cream, but I wanted a soup with a little more than a "broth" type consistency so I opted to make a blonde roux and it worked perfectly. Update 1/1/07: I made this soup today but decided to add 2 packages of dry ranch salad dressing mix just to see how it would turn out. I really like the extra flavor it adds and will make it this way from now on.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 7 stalks celery, sliced down the middle lengthwise and then diced in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced mushrooms
- 3 cups carrots, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 (49 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 ounces dry ranch dressing mix (2-1 Ounce Packages)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 5 cups cooked turkey, chopped
- 1 (19 ounce) package frozen cheese tortellini
- 1In a large heavy stockpot heat olive oil over medium heat.
- 2Add chopped onion and saute for approximately 15 minutes, stirring often (let onions carmelize a bit).
- 3Add chicken broth, dry ranch dressing mix, garlic, celery, carrots, mushrooms, white wine, basil, oregano, salt, white, red & black pepper.
- 4In a seperate heavy saucepan melt butter and add flour, stirring until smooth.
- 5Bring to a simmer over medium heat and stir constantly for 5 minutes (do not brown).
- 6Remove roux from fire and slowly stir into broth/vegetable mixture.
- 7Cover stockpot and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 8Add cooked turky & tortellini and simmer covered for 5 minutes.
Browse Our Top Ravioli/Tortellini Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Ravioli/Tortellini Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turkey & Tortellini Soup
Serving Size: 1 (731 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 582.4
- Calories from Fat 187
- Total Fat 20.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 110.0 mg
- Sodium 1866.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 44.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dry ranch dressing mix