Recipe by chefchen
This recipe is a lighter version of Turkey Tetrazzini. It substitutes carbonated mineral water for the typical heavy cream found in most tetrazzini sauces. (You won't miss the cream—the carbonated water fools your tastebuds, there). I prepare the turkey, the sauce and the mushrooms in my wok, which is suitable for using in the oven. If you don't have a wok, then do the first steps in a large pan and use a deep casserole dish for baking in the oven. You can also use leftover cooked turkey and spaghetti to save some time.
- 8 ounces spaghetti (1 package)
- 1 lb turkey breast, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups mineral water, carbonated. (or use plain soda water)
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, finely grated
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the spaghetti according to package directions until it al dente. Drain and set aside.
- While the spaghetti is cooking, place the oil and 1 teaspoons of the butter into a wok. Heat up the wok on the highest stovetop setting. Brown the turkey in small portions, removing each portion as it is just done and place into a bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- When you have finished browning the turkey, begin to make the sauce.
- Melt the rest of the butter in the wok and brown the garlic using your stove's highest setting.
- Using a whisk, stir in the flour, cook until the color becomes a light golden color.
- Continue stirring with the whisk, add the carbonated water. Blend thoroughly.
- Add the milk. Stir until blended. Let it come to a boil until thickened.
- Now add the parmesan, the sliced mushrooms, the broth granules, the lemon juice and the parsley.
- Add the turkey cubes and the spaghetti. Mix thoroughly.
- Sprinkle the cheddar cheese over the mixtures.
- Place the wok in the oven. Cook at 385°F for about 10 minutes until the cheddar cheese takes on a golden color.