Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a low carb revision of a tamale casserole and I could be happier with it.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1⁄2 shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease an 8x8 glass pan and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat, brown turkey till cooked through and drain.
- Add taco seasoning & water as indicated on seasoning and cook per package directions.
- While the meat is cooking, mix the almond meal, garlic salt, coconut flour & baking soda in a medium bowl.
- Stir melted butter, milk & 2 beaten eggs into the dry ingredients with a wisk until well blended. Set aside.
- Add rotel tomatoes & heat through.
- Remove skillet from the heat and mix in the single beaten egg.
- Spread meat tomatoe mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Spread black beans over the meat mixture.
- Spread with 1-1/2 cups of shredded cheese.
- Pour the batter over the cheese and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown on top & a tooth pick comes out clean.
- Serve with your favorite "taco" style garnishes.