A twist on the shepherds pie. AHHHHHHHHH Sweet Comfort food! This is made with sweet potatoes and ground turkey and a good hint of curry!Good to make with your leftover Thanksgiving sweet potatoes and turkey. You can even put a layer of stuffing in, top with some pecans.....
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 sage leaves, chopped
- 1 -2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 cup frozen peas
Sweet Mashed Potato Topping
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt and pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter
- Boil sweet potatoes till tender add honey, buttermik, butter,cinnamon, salt and pepper to taste.
- Mashing till smooth.
- Set aside.
- Saute in oil the onions, garlic, and turkey till just under done.
- Add curry, salt, pepper, sage, sprinkle flour over turkey mix and pour in the milk.
- Add the peas.
- In a butter 8x8 casserole pan lay meat mixture then place potatoes over meat covering all to seal.
- Top with dabs of butter.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes just to slightly brown top.
This was excellent, and my husband and I both loved it even though I had to make changes due to my current dietary restrictions (replaced buttermilk with coconut milk, and omitted butter, olive oil, and curry powder). A delicious, fairly simple, and wonderfully flexible recipe, that I look forward to making the "original" way very soon.
the mashed sweet potato topping is AWESOME. I did change the honey to 1/4 cup, which made them come out a little sweeter, but, it was a great contrast. The filling needed more flavor - i did add carrots and celery along with the peas, but, I think the ground turkey itself needed some more spices for flavor. I did put a layer of stuffing between the pot pie and the sweet potato topping - that was a wonderful addition.
I thought this was good but missing something. It was better to me once I added some more salt and pepper, but my husband wasn't thrilled about it. I did leave out the peas as I noticed at the last minute I was out. I added carrots. Next time I might try changing the seasonings to chili powder and cumin instead of curry and add some extra garlic. I think the mashed sweet potatoes on top were the best part of this pie.