Recipe by byZula
I got this recipe from off of the internet. It is really good and versatile. I don't usually abide by seasonings. I add them to taste.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped (about 3 stalks)
- 1⁄4 cup bacon bits (fried and crumbled bacon adds more flavor)
- 4 cups dry bread cubes, diced 1/2 inch thick
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken stock
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown garlic in butter (or olive oil).
- Add mushrooms and saute.
- Add the rest of the vegetables and cook until they begin to soften.
- Stir bacon bits into mixture, then lower heat to medium and add bread cubes and seasonings.
- Continue cooking for approximately 5 more minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add hot stock and mix well.
- Cover and cook over low heat for at least 30 minutes, stirring frequently, until bread cubes have broken down.
- (the secret to a good stuffing is in the slow cooking and the frequent stirring).
- This makes 3-4 cups of stuffing.
- Can be baked in the turkey or put into a casserole dish.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes in a 350-375 degree oven.