Recipe by Elcowgirl
I have to have this recipe for Thanksgiving every year. With our family expanding every year with extended relatives I get to try different stuffings, but I always seem to keep coming back to my Mom's recipe every year!
- 59.14 ml butter
- 78.07 ml onion, minced
- 29.58 ml celery
- 2129.31 ml day-old bread, broken into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium apple, chopped with skin
- 59.14 ml parsley
- 4.92 ml poultry seasoning
- 3.69 ml salt
- 0.59 ml pepper
- 354.88 ml water (add a little at a time)
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry onion and celery in butter in the pan that you are going to be baking your turkey in, until the onion turns clear.
- Add all the other ingredients except the water, and mix well. I find that if I use day old bread and NOT dry bread, that I need to add very little or no water at all. You want the mixture to hold together loosely when you gently form a ball with it. Too much water and I find it is too mushy.
- Pack quite tightly into the cavity of your bird.
- If we have any leftover stuffing that doesn't fit in the bird, I will cook it in a seperate dish with the gizzards and heart on top for flavour, covered.