Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I have to have this recipe for Thanksgiving every year. With our family expanding every year with extended relatives I get to try different stuffings, but I always seem to keep coming back to my Mom's recipe every year!
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons celery
- 9 cups day-old bread, broken into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium apple, chopped with skin
- 1⁄4 cup parsley
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups water (add a little at a time)
- Fry onion and celery in butter in the pan that you are going to be baking your turkey in, until the onion turns clear.
- Add all the other ingredients except the water, and mix well. I find that if I use day old bread and NOT dry bread, that I need to add very little or no water at all. You want the mixture to hold together loosely when you gently form a ball with it. Too much water and I find it is too mushy.
- Pack quite tightly into the cavity of your bird.
- If we have any leftover stuffing that doesn't fit in the bird, I will cook it in a seperate dish with the gizzards and heart on top for flavour, covered.