Recipe by Kelly M.
A nice variation of stuffed zucchini drizzled with a sweet balsamic glaze. This recipe could work as a first course, main dish or side, whatever you're in the mood for! This recipe was created for the Ready, Set, Cook! contest.
FOR THE FILLING
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1⁄4 lb ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- olive oil
FOR THE SAUCE
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon butter, chilled
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut off ends of zucchini then cut in half lengthwise and scoop out pulp leaving about 1/4 inch remaining.
- Finely chop pulp and set aside.
- Heat 2 Tbsp butter in skillet over medium heat and saute onion 2 minutes.
- Add pulp from zucchini, and saute 3 minutes, or until onion is nicely softened.
- Add garlic and saute one minute longer.
- In medium bowl, combine turkey, onion mixture, breadcrumbs, sage, salt and pepper, mixing well.
- Glaze the bottom of an oven-proof casserole with enough olive oil to coat.
- Rub zucchini in the oil to coat all over, and place pulp side up.
- Divide turkey mixture in half, filling each zucchini half.
- Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue to cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in the same skillet used for the onion, heat one teaspoon of olive oil.
- Add balsamic vinegar and let boil about 1 1/2 minutes, until syrup-y.
- Add honey, broth and fresh thyme, bringing to a boil again for about another 1 1/2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter until melted, along with salt and pepper.
- Remove zucchini from oven, and drizzle each piece with about 2 tablespoons of balsamic glaze.
- Serve immediately.