Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A nice variation of stuffed zucchini drizzled with a sweet balsamic glaze. This recipe could work as a first course, main dish or side, whatever you're in the mood for! This recipe was created for the Ready, Set, Cook! contest.
FOR THE FILLING
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1⁄4 lb ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- olive oil
FOR THE SAUCE
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon butter, chilled
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut off ends of zucchini then cut in half lengthwise and scoop out pulp leaving about 1/4 inch remaining.
- Finely chop pulp and set aside.
- Heat 2 Tbsp butter in skillet over medium heat and saute onion 2 minutes.
- Add pulp from zucchini, and saute 3 minutes, or until onion is nicely softened.
- Add garlic and saute one minute longer.
- In medium bowl, combine turkey, onion mixture, breadcrumbs, sage, salt and pepper, mixing well.
- Glaze the bottom of an oven-proof casserole with enough olive oil to coat.
- Rub zucchini in the oil to coat all over, and place pulp side up.
- Divide turkey mixture in half, filling each zucchini half.
- Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue to cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in the same skillet used for the onion, heat one teaspoon of olive oil.
- Add balsamic vinegar and let boil about 1 1/2 minutes, until syrup-y.
- Add honey, broth and fresh thyme, bringing to a boil again for about another 1 1/2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter until melted, along with salt and pepper.
- Remove zucchini from oven, and drizzle each piece with about 2 tablespoons of balsamic glaze.
- Serve immediately.
Very good. I used a grapefruit spoon to scoop out the pulp, used olive oil in place of the butter and increased the garlic for personal taste. DH and I really liked the sauce.
This was great! Thanks!
WOW!!! This was awesome! Easy prep, great directions, and lots of great flavor. We tried it with colby jack cheese baked on top for my picky kiddos, and they actually ate around the cheese to get to the stuffing. It will be a wonderful addition to my zucchini recipes for this summer.