Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Really good-a lighter version of the beef stuffed ones.
- 2 yellow bell peppers
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, Italian style
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese or 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons melted butter
- Preheat to 375.
- Cut peppers lengthwise and seed.
- Place cut side up on a baking sheet-you can lightly steam them if you want to.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium high.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Stir a few times.
- Add meat, stirring often for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and rice and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat, add herbs and salt and pepper, stir in cheddar.
- Fill peppers.
- Combine breadcrumbs, parmesan and toss with melted butter-mix well.
- Top peppers and bake for 30-40 minutes.
Instead of rice I used quinoa. I used ground pork instead of turkey. I used cheddar cheese, and added two eggs. I put in about a large handful of chopped mushrooms, sautéed with onion instead of tomato, and a small can of tomato paste. I used thyme instead of oregano. It was worth the cooking time for a healthy and delicious meal!
This was good. Didn't us the topping. Will make again! Had to cook a little longer, peppers will be al dente.
I just made these, and they were great! I added some red pepper flakes when I added the other herbs. I think that it would have been a little bland without it. I also put 1/2 cup water in the bottom of the dish and covered it with aluminum foil and baked at 400 for 30 mins and then put a mixture of panko, parmesan and butter on the peppers and put it under the broiler for a few minutes. They were perfect!