Recipe by Erv Kosch
Green peppers topped with melted cheddar cheese You can substitute low fat mozzarella cheese for cheddar. If you don't have pre-made bread crumbs use 3 pieces of wet de-crusted low carb bread, pulled apart and thoroughly mixed in the turkey. Using wet bread will create a juicier pepper so be careful when you cut into it.
Top Review by JenJBissett
These were so yummy! I'm not a huge fan of tomatoes so I used curshed ones instead of fresh and used ground chicken instead of turkey and it was absolutely fabulous. Easy and quick, they also made my house smell great! Enjoyed the left overs for lunch the next day.
- 8 green peppers
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1⁄2 cup mild cheddar cheese, shredded (low-fat)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup mild cheddar cheese, shredded (low-fat, for topping)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut tops off green peppers as evenly possible, clean and deseed.
- Dunk green peppers into boiling and leave for 5 minutes or until the peppers begin to get tender.
- Remove peppers and tip upside down on a towel so the excess water runs out but the inside stays moist.
- Place peppers in baking dish.
- Lightly coat the inside of the pepper with salt (optional).
- Cover dish.
- Brown and drain the ground turkey and onions.
- Mix turkey, cheddar cheese, breadcrumbs, tomatoes, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Place even amounts of the turkey mixture into peppers.
- Top peppers with remaining cheese.
- Cover dish and cook for 25 minutes.
- Remove cover and cook for 5-10 minutes or until the cheese begins to brown (which ever comes first) and serve.