Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Great fall or holiday dish. Can easily be doubled to feed a crowd. If you have leftover stuffing, you can stuff chicken with it or make stuffing cakes.
- 2 acorn squash (medium to large)
- 1 lb turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup dried cranberries (eyeball it)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced mushrooms
- 6 sprigs thyme, leaves removed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package cornbread, cooked according to directions and crumbled
- grated cheese (I used Knight's vail, but mozzarella or other mild cheeses would work)
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Cut the stem off the acorn squash so they stand up straight. Cut the squash in half and place cut side down on oiled baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes while the stuffing cooks.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Add onions, peppers, mushrooms, garlic, and thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Saute until tender.
- Add sausage to vegetables and cook through. Season to taste.
- Add vegetables and sausage to crumbled cornbread. Mix in the dried cranberries.
- Stuff each squash half with the stuffing mixture and top with cheese. Cover with foil and continue baking for about 30-40 minutes or until squash are tender.