Recipe by Bev
I make this using a turkey carcass in addition to the wings and giblets. Excellent recipe!
- 3 lbs turkey wings, cut into 2 inch pieces
- turkey neck
- turkey giblets (from 16 pound turkey)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 16 cups cold water
- 2 fresh parsley sprigs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black peppercorns
Directions See How It's Made
- Pat wings, neck and giblets dry with paper towels.
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- Working in batches, add turkey parts to pot and sauté until brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer turkey parts to large bowl.
- Add onion, carrot and celery to same pot.
- Sauté until onion is tender, about 2 minutes.
- Return turkey parts to pot.
- Add enough cold water to cover mixture by 2 inches.
- Bring liquid to boil.
- Skim off foam.
- Add parsley, thyme and peppercorns.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Simmer until liquid is reduced by half, stirring occasionally, about 2 1/2 hours.
- Strain stock into large bowl.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Spoon fat off top of stock.
- (Can be prepared 5 days ahead. Cool slightly. Cover and refrigerate.) Makes about 8 cups.