Recipe by Pam-I-Am
I created this one night when I had some turkey smoked sausage to use for dinner and wanted to do something creamy and comforting. I think it's important to use the turkey sausage as it is so much less grease. The regular can get very oily, so if you plan on using that, pre-cook it in a pan and drain on paper towels before you add to the sauce.
Top Review by Chef shapeweaver �
I made this recipe on 3/2/12 for the " Peppercorn/Black Pepper Event " in the Food Photo Forum and most importantly mine and my SO's Dinner. Since it was just the two of us,the recipe was cut in half and I used garlic powder instead of garlic. After reading the reviews I decided to add a bit more pepper & garlic powder to the sauce,and it seemed to work just fine. I didn't have turkey smoked sausage, so a chicken sausage( which I had browned a bit ) was subbed. We both thought that it was very good and will be made again. " Keep Smiling :) "
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, pressed
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
Adding to the sauce
- 1 lb smoked turkey sausage, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 cups cheese ravioli, frozen (about 1/2 pound)
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a medium pan, place water on to boil for the ravioli. Pour the milk into a 2 cup measure and have ready for the next step.
- In a 2nd pan, melt butter over medium heat. When it is melted, slowly add the flour and use a whisk to combine. Slowly pour milk into the flour/butter mixture and stir until smooth.
- While milk mixture is heating and thickening, while stirring, add the parmesan cheese, parsley, salt and garlic. Add ground pepper to taste. Continue to stir until smooth and turn off heat when it has become thick.
- In a microwavable bowl, place the cut up pieces of sausage. Microwave on high for 2 minutes to heat. Add these to the white sauce.
- When water has come to a boil, place the frozen ravioli in and cook as package directs until done. Drain and then add to the cream sauce with the sausage, carefully folding them inches Be careful not to have excess water get into the sauce.
- Place pasta, sauce and sausage mixture into a 2 quart casserole dish sprayed with oil.
- Place in the 350°F oven and bake for 30 minutes without a lid. 10 minutes before finished, sprinkle 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese on top.
- When cheese is melted, remove and serve hot.