Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
A lighter version of the regular sloppy joes.
Make and share this Turkey Sloppy Joes recipe from Food.com.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄2 sweet green pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 red sweet bell pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 -6 crusty hot dog buns, lightly toasted
- In a large skillet over medium heat add onion, peppers and garlic and sauté 3 minutes.
- Add turkey and stir well.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
- Stir well and simmer for 15 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Serve on toasted rolls, hamburger style.
- I add red pepper flakes directly on mine for a kicked up taste.
These were really tasty and also very easy. I used probably a tbsp of Worcestershire sauce and also added a a tbsp or so each of spicy brown mustard, bbq sauce and brown sugar, just for a little more flavor.
We had these lighter version joes and were not disappointed they are just chock full of good flavor. Love the addition of the peppers and onions. I will be making these again thanks so much!!1
I made these for dinner last night. YUMMY!! The only thing I did differently was to add more Worchestershire sauce. Even the dog got some (oops, I dropped some on the floor! LOL). The leftovers went in the freezer as I'm sure this will freeze well. Thanks for sharing. :)