Recipe by Kree
This is an easy, healthy version of a traditional English dish from the Colitis Cookbook. It's total comfort food! I like to add about a cup of frozen peas with the parsley.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground turkey
- 3⁄4 cup diced onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup rice milk or 1⁄2 cup soymilk
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 cups prepared instant mashed potatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- In large skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil, ground turkey, diced onions and garlic.
- Saute the ingredients until the turkey is thoroughly cooked.
- Drain off excess juices from the turkey.
- Add the flour and incorporate thoroughly.
- Add the chicken stock and the rice or soy milk.
- Stirring constantly, bring the mixture to a boil, simmer for 1 minute and remove from heat.
- Add the chopped parsley and stir well.
- Place the meat mixture in a greased 9x9-inch casserole dish.
- Using a spatula, evenly distribute the mashed potatoes over the meat mixture.
- Sprinkle the paprika over the mashed potato topping.
- Bake the Shepherd's Pie for 25 to 30 minutes at 400 degrees.