1/1 Photo of Turkey Shepherd's Pie
Team Rocco's Note:
Easy and delicious! I usually have all the ingredients on hand, so it is a snap to make any night of the week. Turkey makes this recipe more lean than using beef or lamb. Made this for dinner tonight and got a 9.5 from a self-proclaimed food critic who never gives above an 8. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2-2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (to top Pie)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter (preferrably unsalted)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 -4 carrots, chopped in quarters
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (20 ounce) package ground turkey
- 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash beef broth (about 1/8 Cup)
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 3 -4 tablespoons flour (more or less depending how thick you want the sauce)
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2To make the Mashed Potatoes:.
- 3Place potatoes in large pot and cover with water. Bring water to a boil and boil potatoes for about 10-12 minutes. Meanwhile, combine milk, butter, and sour cream in small saucepan and warm on low heat. Potatoes are done when they are fork tender. Drain and return potatoes to pot to dry. Add milk mixture slowly and in batches to determine how creamy you want them. Mash potatoes with milk mixture and add salt and pepper to taste.
- 4To make the Turkey Filling:.
- 5Heat olive oil and 2 tablespoons of butter in large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion, carrots, garlic, corn, half the salt and italian seasoning. Cook until onions are opaque, about 10 minutes.
- 6Add ketchup and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- 7Combine pepper, ground turkey, worcestershire sauce, beef broth, red wine and flour with the vegetable mixture. Cook until the turkey is browned and the sauce begins to thicken, about 5-10 minutes.
- 8Place beef filling in 1 quart casserole dish. Top with mashed potatoes but leave about a 1 inch rim so the meat mixture can breath, Top mashed potatoes with parmesan cheese and dot with remaining tablespoons of butter.
- 9Place in a 375 degree oven and bake about 35-40 minutes, until the turkey mixture is bubbly and the mashed potatoes are golden brown.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turkey Shepherd's Pie
Serving Size: 1 (362 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 453.0
- Calories from Fat 202
- Total Fat 22.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 108.1 mg
- Sodium 973.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 23.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: