Adapted from A man, A can and a Grill. A savory combination of Italian flavors over crisp polenta slices.
- 5 Italian sausages, sweet
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 large onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil, dried
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 16 ounces polenta (sun dried or unflavored)
- salt and pepper
- cheese, grated (optional)
- Fire up grill.
- Saute chopped peppers, onion and garlic in olive oil until soft. Add tomatoes, mushrooms, oregano and basil. Cover. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice polenta into 1/2 inch thick pucks, spray with cooking spray.
- Grill sausages and polenta, turning several times.
- Remove sausages from grill, slice the long way, add to tomato mixture.
- Put several slices of polenta on each plate, spoon sauce over, sprinkle with grated cheese.
Yum! This was real comfort food. I had to make the polenta myself because I've never seen ready made polenta in the grocery here, but that was just fine. Also the sausages I used maybe weren't exactly what the recipe called for, but they were Italian and tasted excellent :) Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe!
Made for PAC Fall 2012