Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
A healthy low GI version of the wonderful and very Polish, sausage and cabbage dinner. Be sure to use good turkey sausages.
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 453.59 g turkey sausage or 453.59 g chicken sausage, cut into 1/2 inch rounds
- 1419.54 ml shredded cabbage
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2.46 ml caraway seed
- 473.18 ml low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
- 14.79 ml cider vinegar
- 14.79 ml whole grain mustard
- 177.44 ml barley
- In deep non stick frying pan, heat oil over medium high heat. Add sausage and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Add cabbage, onion, garlic, and caraway seeds; cook, stirring, until cabbage has wilted slightly, about 3 minutes.
- In bowl, whisk together stock, vinegar and mustard. Add to frying pan along with barley; stir. Bring to simmer; cover and cook, stirring occasionally and adding more water if too dry, for 40 minutes or until barley is tender.
Very good and so different! I had my doubts while making it but it was fantastic. Thank you for sharing!
Very, very good! I used hot italian turkey sausage and crumbled it before frying it. I followed the recipe exactly and it was delicious. Thanks!
I needed a barley recipe out of necessity, but never expected to find anything very interesting. How good can barley be? Well this is GOOD! I can't get enough of it. I think it's the cider vinegar and mustard that really gives it a kick. Incidentally. the first time I made this I had some bratwursts that needed using up, so I mutilated them for this recipe and it turned out very nice. So it's good and versatile. But I do like it best with the turkey sausage. I can't wait to make this again (and again and again) and I think everyone should try it. Thanks!