- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb turkey sausage or 1 lb chicken sausage, cut into 1/2 inch rounds
- 6 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 2 cups low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 3⁄4 cup barley
Directions See How It's Made
- In deep non stick frying pan, heat oil over medium high heat. Add sausage and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Add cabbage, onion, garlic, and caraway seeds; cook, stirring, until cabbage has wilted slightly, about 3 minutes.
- In bowl, whisk together stock, vinegar and mustard. Add to frying pan along with barley; stir. Bring to simmer; cover and cook, stirring occasionally and adding more water if too dry, for 40 minutes or until barley is tender.