Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
I had to make something for a luncheon at work. I needed to feed a crowd and I was sooo busy that week that I needed something easy. So here it is. I did this in two days only because I didn't have enough time in one day. It is easy and quite delicious. This got great raves! It's a good party dish. Measurements might be a tad off. I'm the type of cook that just throws in.
- 3 lbs sweet turkey sausage
- 1 1⁄4 lbs penne pasta
- 2 heads broccoli, cut into small pieces, i didn't use stalks
- 3 medium onions, cut up
- 1 cup white wine
- 3 tablespoons sweet butter (can use margarine)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 dash oregano
- 1 dash sage
- olive oil, enough to cover bottom of large pan and maybe a tad more, definitely a tad more (I love olive oil)
- chili pepper flakes, to taste
- grated parmesan cheese, enough to cover top and mix in casserole (Be generous)
- Cut up onions and fry in olive oil till carmelized.
- As I said I did this the day before and put them in refrigerator.
- Just because of a time issue.
- If you make it all in one day carmelize onions and then put aside.
- Cut through the casing on the sausage and cut sausage into small pieces.
- Throw away casing.
- While olive oil is hot throw sausage in pan.
- Cut up your broccoli and throw in the pan.
- Add wine and 2 tablespoons of butter.
- About 15 minutes.
- While doing this boil your penne with some salt.
- I use Kosher salt.
- Once the penne is boiled and drained put in large pan.
- Then add broccoli, sausage and all your spices.
- Mix in the carmelized onions.
- Then add grated parmasean cheese.
- Mix well and have some on top.
- Bake for 15 minutes 350 oven.
- Everything is really cooked.
- You just want to heat it up.
Quick and yummy -- my kind of dish! Rave reviews from DH & guests. There was a smidge left over and it was awesome the next day. (Mine, all mine!!) Thanks for posting, Lynn!
We enjoyed this casserole, my turkey sausage was one with sun dried tomato in them. I scaled the recipe back for two and it worked quite well. I didn't have enough parmesan to have it inside and on the top too, so I put the parmesan inside and used sharp cheddar to top it with, we loved it. We like the onions and broccoli, the wine added lots of taste to them. I will make it again but I think I would use elbow macaroni, just personal preferance, penne is not our favourite. Thanks for sharing.
I have to admit I was nervous about using turkey sausage, but now I'm glad I did. This recipe was easy and delicious. Even my fiance loved it. To make it even better, add less pasta and more broccoli and onions.