Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
Courtesy of: Honeysuckle White® and Shady Brook Farms®
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (1 lb) package Honeysuckle White® or Shady Brook Farms® Turkey Breakfast Sausage Links
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- salt and black pepper
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 pinch chili flakes
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup dry polenta
- grated parmesan cheese, and (optional) or chopped parsley (optional)
- Preheat a non-stick or lightly oiled skillet over medium high heat.
- Add sausages. Turn sausages frequently with tongs to brown all sides. After browning (5-7 minutes) reduce heat to medium, add 1/2 – 2/3 cup water, cover, turn sausages occasionally, and cook to 165°F. Remove from skillet and keep warm.
- Add peppers and onion to skillet; season with salt and pepper. Cook about 5 minutes or until vegetables start to brown.
- Add Italian seasoning and garlic; cook 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste and chili flakes. Simmer about 10 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- In large saucepan over medium heat, bring polenta, water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil, stirring constantly until polenta thickens.
- Cook about 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer polenta to serving bowl or individual bowls, top with pepper sauce and sausages.
- Garnish with Parmesan cheese and/or chopped parsley, if desired.
- Note: For food safety, cook turkey to a minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit as measured by a meat thermometer.