Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
In 'The Best Casserole Cookbook Ever' by Beatrice Ojakangas
- 1 lb bulk turkey breakfast sausage
- 6 slices assorted day-old bread, cubed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- Butter a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- In a skillet, crumble and cook the sausage over moderate heat until browned; drain well.
- Spread half of the bread cubes in the baking dish.
- Top with half of the cheese and all of the sausage.
- Cover the sausage with the remaining bread cubes and the remaining cheese.
- Mix the eggs, milk, salt, dry mustard, and cayenne pepper in a large bowl.
- Pour this mixture over the ingredients in the dish.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 12 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Uncover the dish and bake for 1-1 1/2 hours or until set (baking time will vary depending on how cold the ingredients are).